What Are Your Favorite Silver Marten Varieties?

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kit Updates

Alice's kits are now 13 days old, Brianna's kits are 10 days old and Noel's kits are 8 days old. Alice's kits have all opened their eyes, and so have the 4 out of Brianna's litter.

I rebred Brianna to Tyler a week ago. She kept turning her nestbox over, trying to liberate her kits. I tried taking the nestbox out at night and only putting it in with her in the morning to nurse, but sadly I lost two of them to the cold. After that I tattooed a small dot in each of the kits ears and fostered three of them to Alice and the other one to Noel. Hopefully the tattoos will not fade and I will be able to tell which ones were Brianna's by the time they are weaned.
I was worried about how Noel would do with hers. She is a first time doe with 9 kits of her own and one foster kit. She has done excellent with them though. It is amazing how FAT they are!

I have been handling each of the kits every day in the hopes that when they get bigger, they will be easier to teach to stay still and hold a pose. I have even started taking each of Alice's kits out to pose them. There are actually a few of them that will stay in their pose! The others will stay still for a second, but then start trying to explore.
It is way to early to tell which ones will be show quality, but hopefully by the time it is, they will all be able to hold a pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment